NOTE MAKING

1. Read the passage given below and make the notes.


The small village of Somnathpur contains an extraordinary temple, built around 1268 A.D. by the Hoyasalas of Karnataka-one of the most prolific templebuilders. Belur and Helebid are among their-better-known works. While these suffered during the invasions of the 14th century, the Somnathpur temple stands more or less intact in near-original condition. This small temple captivates with the beauty and vitality of its detailed sculpture,covering almost every inch of the walls, pillars, and even ceilings. It has three shikharas and stands on a star-shaped, raised platform with 24 edges. The outer walls have a profusion of detailed carvings: the entire surface run over by carved plaques of stone. There were vertical panels covered by exquiste figures of gods and goddesses. with many incarnations being depicted. There were nymphs too, some carrying an ear of maize (a symbol of plenty and prosperity. The elaborate ornamentation, very characteristic of Hoyasala sculptures, was a remarkable feature. On closer look - and it is worth it - the series of friezes on the outer walls revealed intricately carved caparisoned elephants, charging horsemen, stylized flowers, warriors, musicians, crocodiles, and swans.

The temple was actually commissioned by Soma Dandanayaka or Somnath (he named the village after himself), the minister of the Hoyasala king, Narasimha the Third. The temple was built to house three versions of Krishna. The inner center of the temple was the kalyana mandapa. Leading from here were three corridors, each ending in a shrine, one for each kind of Krishna-Venugopala, Janardana and Prasanna Keshava, though only two remain in their original form. In the darkness of the sanctum sanctorum, I tried to discern the different images. The temple’s sculptural perfection is amazing and it includes the doors of the temple and the three elegantly carved towers.


TITLE -                           TEMPLE OF SOMNATHPUR

A. Prominent temples at Somnathpur:

built around 1268 A.D.
built by Hoyasalas.
built by most prolific temple-builders.
4.(1) Belur and Helebid
5.(2) suffered during the invasions of 14 century

B. Temple: the beauty and vitality:

1 Detailed sculpture- covering walls, pillars, ceilings.
2 Three shikharas- stands star-shaped, raised platform - 24 edges
3 The outer walls- detailed carvings
the entire surface- carved plaques of stone,
5 Vertical panels covered by exq. Fig. of gods& goddesses

C. Characteristic of Hoyasala sculptures:

the series of friezes on the outer walls
revealed intricately carved caparisoned elephants .
charging horsemen
stylized flowers
warriors, musicians, crocodiles, and swans.

D. Temple in the History:

actually comm.. Soma Dandanayaka or Somnath
inner center of temple was the kalyana mandapa.
3 Leading - three corridors, each ending in a shrine
4 Each kind of Krishna-Venugopala, Janardana and Prasanna
Keshava, Life-test, of plu.


2. SUMMARY

Somnath temple is situated in a small village of Somnathpur. It was commissioned by Soma Dandanayaka or Somnath and it was build around 1268A.D. The temple of Somnath is extraordinary due to the sculptures on the walls, pillars, and even the ceiling which are covered by exquisite figures of gods and goddesses. The sculptures have a series of finches on the outer walls. The various molifs are carved elephants, charging horsemen and stylized flowers.It had three corridors ,each ending in a shrine ,one for each version of Krishna- Venugopala, Janardana and Prasann Keshava.




2. Read the passage carefully and answer the following questions.

1.     I remember my childhood as being generally happy and can recall experiencing some of the most carefree times of my life. But I can also remember, even more vividly, moments of being deeply frightened. As a child, I was truly -terrified of the dark and getting lost. These fears were very real and caused me some extremely uncomfortable moments.
2.     Maybe it was the strange way things looked and sounded in my familiar room at night that scared me so much. There was never total darkness, but a street light or passing car lights made clothes hung over a chair take on the shape of an unknown beast. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw curtains move when there was no breeze. A tiny creak in the floor would sound a hundred times louder than in the daylight and my imagination would take over, creating burglars and monsters. Darkness always made me feel helpless. My heart would pound and I would lie very still so that ‘the enemy’ wouldn’t discover me.
3.     Another childhood fear of mine was that I would get lost, especially on the way home from school. Every morning, I got on the school bus right near my home—that was no problem. After school, though, when all the buses were lined up along the curve, I was terrified that I would get on the wrong one and be taken to some unfamiliar neighbourhood. I would scan the bus for the faces of my friends, make sure that the bus driver was the same one that had been there in the morning, and even then ask the others over and over again to be sure I was in the right bus. On school or family trips to an amusement park or a museum, I wouldn’t let the leaders out of my sight. And of course, I was never very adventurous when it came to taking walks or hikes because I would go only where I was sure I would never get lost.
4.     Perhaps, one of the worst fears I had as a child was that of not being liked or accepted by others. First of all, I was quite shy. Secondly, I worried constantly about my looks, thinking people wouldn’t like me because I was too fat or wore braces. I tried to wear ‘the right clothes’ and had intense arguments with my mother over the importance of wearing flats instead of saddled shoes to school. Being popular was very important to me then and the fear of not being liked was a powerful one.
5.     One of the processes of evolving from a child to an adult is being able to recognise and overcome our fears. I have learnt that darkness does not have to take on a life of its own, that others can help me when I am lost and that friendliness and sincerity will
encourage people to like me. Understanding the things that scared us as children helps to cope with our lives as adults.

Questions:
1. On the basis of your reading of the above passage, make notes using headings and subheadings. Use recognizable abbreviations, wherever necessary. 5
2. Write a summary of the passage in not more than 80 words using the notes made and also suggest a suitable title. 3
Answers:

NOTES:
1. TITLE:
 Memories of Childhood
1.     Remembering childhood moments
1.     happy and carefree
2.     terrified of the dark and getting lost
2.     Childhood fears
1.     Feeling helpless in dark
(a) Moving curtains
(b) Creaking sounds
(c) Creating burglars and monsters
2.     Fear of getting lost (on the way home from school)
(a) Scanning of school buses—friendly faces, same bus driver
(b) Not letting leaders out of sight
(c) Taken to some unfamiliar neighbourhood
(d) Surety of not being lost
3.     Fear of disliking
(a) Quite shy
(b) worried about looks
(c) wear the right clothes
(d) Imp. of popularity
3.     Overcoming childhood fears
1.     Undg. evolution process
2.     Recognising and overcoming fears
3.     Accepting help from others
4.     Unds. things that scared


2. SUMMARY
My childhood moment was the happiest and carefree moment. Darkness scared me with its shadows, moving of curtains, and creaking sounds. It made me quite helpless and I used to lie still with a pounding heart. I had the fear of getting lost while on way from home to school. Before getting in school bus, I scanned it for friendly faces. I had the fear of being disliked by others. During the course of evolution from a child to an adult, I realised those things that scared me as a child. I was always expecting help from others.







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Character Sketch of Mukesh ('Lost Spring' by Anees Jung)

Character Sketch of Rajkumar Shukla ('Indigo' by Louis Fischer))

Character sketch of Saheb-e-Alam ('Lost Spring' by Anees Jung))